LONDON – boombox, hoxton square bar and kitchen + wet yourself, club aquarium, 06/17/07

how boring. Why do you go to the same places all the time?
    this people just try too much and it brings nothing new. besides you just feel they wear this because they are there not because they really are like this everyday.
    i believe you can find true style anywhere else in London.

2. Joyce says:

Woooooooooooh the big (very very big) red bag is só cool!

Yvan, as much respect as I have for your work, I really do feel rather fed up with the repetition of people and places when it comes to your London photos. Boombox, Hoxton Square, Brick Lane – Please, pretty please, change your scouting sites.
    Personally, I would love for some Parisian elegance to creep back into your photos, chuck the nu-rave into the bin, pronto.

Either way, keep up the facehunting,
    Zo

4. hello there
    please, put my blog as a link on your page
    street fashion from Rio de Janeiro / Brasil
    hope u like

i love your job

=)

5. Martha says:

these people don’t really look that good, they kind of look crazy and thats about it

6. Alaska says:

Chanel boy is my favourite, I hope to see real quiffs making a comeback. I also like London girl’s bottle green slacks – are they see-thru? x

7. you can see the difference between Finland and UK .

i have to agree with both the “anonyme” posts. nothing is fashion here, everyone looks ridiculous. and please don’t tell me that i have to be more open-minded, just give me people with a sense of style.

loving the over-oversized red bag. there’s already someone taking photos at boombox though… seconding the first comment!
    x

10. Carpe Diem says:

I’m a fan of the red bag also! I linked you on my site =)

11. Candid Cool says:

I love the huge red duffle, but for travel, not for going out. But perhaps there is a reality (hair/makeup etc…) that I am not aware of. But somehow I doubt that…

Also the young man with the large hair looks quite sharp in his suit, I also like the pocket square and the knit tie. Well done, well done.

12. davey says:

Yeh, suit guy has it and that’s about it.

I have to agree with everyone regarding the showiness of these people. I also get the feeling they are trying way too hard to be ‘different’ without considering what actually looks good on them.

It’s a case of fashion replacing style!

Not my bag, baby. Oversized or otherwise.

xx

ps: Still love you Yvan. ;)

13. Gabriella F. says:

I want a red bag and a suit boy! :)

Yes please don’t follow dirtydirtydancing. More shots of people’s *actual* style

it’s like a carnival

no! i really like it. experimental is good, fabulous and ridiculous are good too. sometimes very cool things come about by getting it wrong, or people trying too hard. at least there is some braveness (tho i always want to see it pushed further!). classic style is obvious. i am hungry for things i have not seen.

thank you!

hazel

Hi think Yvan is not following Dirty Dancing. It is two different things. Facehunter is how people dress.
    Second, I think this people is only having fun and not trying too hard.
    The girl with the red bag, she is making fun of the big bag fashion now…sense of humour guys…don’t you get it????

I believe the owner of BoomBox is banning anyone with a camera except for dirtydirtydancing.com from the club.

It would be nice for you to try somewhere else too but it does show us a progression of styles at BoomBox.

Moreover, I think the BoomBox owner is just being a prat, as always! We like to party, we like cameras taking our pictures. I’d rather potentially end up on a site more exciting than just dirtydirtydancing.com. The guy who runs that is not a looker, he is not a man of great style but he feels he can judge the rest of London. In my opinion this is sad!

I used to really love and appreciate London style, but it’s as if it’s become a caricature of itself. It’s stops being style and just becomes a statement for the sake of making a statement, and that statement seems to be “ohh look how crazy off the wall I am!”.

People seem to misinterpret what being stylish is and what being individual is, and shoving on all your clothes at once, or wearing garments regardless of whether they suit you or not, does not make one stylish. We could all pile on mismatched clothes or layer them like crazy, but it takes no skill or talent to do that. In my opinion anyway.

But if Yvan is seeing this where he goes, then that’s what he should be photographing as that’s interesting in itself, no?

20. Bojana says:

The girl with the enormous big bag looks ridiculous.

Or maybe it’s just auto-dérisoire and I don’t get it.

Whatever

if it looks to you that these people are wearing random things at once, then i feel sorry for you, yvan is great he has an eye for the people who care about details and dare to be experimental and are not affraid to be laughed at, if people didn’t experiment, then fashion would never evolve, this is about having fun and pushing boundries, if you wanna see boring and safe people look at sartorialist or cheap party people at misshapes!!

if you don’t like, then don’t look, look elsewhere, it makes me so angry to read all of this, yvan’s work is great and unique and you should appreciate that he works hard to do something different for you to look at for free.

23. S. says:

Has the size of that red “hand” bag been greatly exaggerated through Photoshop?!!!

Hey, if you do not like do not look…hey c’mon!!
    It is good to discuss different opinion. Is goot to say what you think!!!

25. Personally, I am always interested in who Yvan photographs. They may not always be to my taste, but they are always inspiring and at least they are not following the whole jeans and a t-shirt trend. Maybe they are trying to be different, but at least they can pull it off. I never come across people like this.

I love the suit guy.

26. eurobrat says:

Chanel tape boy is great.

27. Jason Black says:

rad photos, really like them

28. i think it´s nice to show the ridiculous and the not cool too, you don´t have to like it, yvan don´t have to pretend it doesnt exist, just see it and criticize if you want to.

I think I’d hate to spend any time with these people. Honestly.

haha boombox still going strong..
    love it love it

I can agree with pretty much all of the comments on here, but the girl with the orange tights and yellow bag does look really cool and well dressed. The look does not seem at all nu-rave- just well put together.

BOOMBOX IS SOOOO OVER-RATED!! MOST PEOPLE LOOK RIDICULOUS AND NOT VERY CREATIVE… You should look at old pics from back in the day at BLITZ or even Kinky Gerliky was more creative.